October 26, 2011

A snippet of London in pictures

Yesterday was a hugely successful day! Not only was it one of Londons most delicious sunny but cool and crisp days, but it was a perfect afternoon for the photo session along the South Bank that Tracey and I had planned. We were on somewhat of a mission to capture some of Londons beauty which has become so familiar to us living here in London.

I have been reminded once again about how much there really is for me to learn about not only how to USE my camera, but how to CAPTURE the shot I have in my mind. I do prefer to capture people and moments, so capturing objects and places always seems a little more difficult to me from the outset....but whatever I am capturing, I am going to make becoming more familiar with my camera and how I can use it a priority for the remainder of 2011.

Anyway I have had fun playing around with the shots and having a wee edit this morning. Heres a sneak peek into some of my favs....


Our day was concluded so nicely with a visit to the Tate Modern. It is one of Londons most well known Art Galleries, and is the most visited Art Gallery in the world. It is set in an old power station so has a really cold and stale front, however upon entering it has a creative buzz to it, a serene sense of calm fell upon me yesterday whilst in there and you immediately kind of get engulfed in the exhibitions.

Our purpose for visiting yesterday was to view Taryn Simons collection -
A Living Man Declared Dead And Other Chapters. Simons travelled around the world, researching and photographing bloodlines and recording their stories. Her travels took her to Kenya, Bosnia, Australia and Brazil to name a few. The bloodline stories were incredible. Her stories included genocide, ophanages, mutalation from drugs deemed safe (in the UK), the rapid growth and subsequent attempted reduction of rabbits, body doubles for Sudan Hussain, and pologamy to name just a few. It was a lot to take in, and Tracey and I found ourselves shuddering and gasping as we wandered through.

Amazingly, as we entered the final viewing room, we were lucky enough to stumble upon Simons describing some of her work and answering questions from a small group of people who had gathered around her. Listening to her really helped embed exactly what she had achieved over the 4 years in both of our minds. It really was a great exhibition and provided a very humbling experience.

Yesterday was just another reminder about London and how unpredictable any day here can be. You never know who, or what you will stumble upon and what kind of affect it is going to have on you.

London, I love you!

1 comment:

  1. What lovely images Liv!!! My favourite is the shot third from the top. Thank you for sharing London with us! XXX

    ReplyDelete